Published on May 31st, 2019 | by Natural Awakenings Publishing Corp.0
Protecting and Nourishing Gut Microbiota
Dietitian Teresa Martin suggests:
- Strive to eat a wide variety of plant species and at least 30 grams of fiber every day (some cooked and some raw).
- Limit “microbial assassins”, including refined carbohydrates and added sugar (no more than 25 grams or six teaspoons of added sugar per day); sugar substitutes; food additives such as polysorbate-80 and carboxymethylcellulose; smoking and vaping; chronic stress; antimicrobial soaps and sanitizers; antibiotics; proton pump inhibitors; high-fat diets; and processed meats.
- Move every day for at least 30 minutes; don’t sit for more than 30 minutes and get outside.
- Relax with yoga, meditation or mindfulness.
- Sleep seven to eight hours each night.